Employment law cases in the news – 29.12.2014 to 04.01.2015

redmans-blog-newsIn the latest of our series of posts on employment law cases in the news, we take a look at five employment law-related cases that have made the news between 29 December 2014 and 4 January 2015.

  1. Hospital is taken to the High Court by angry surgeon – Hard-up Milton Keynes hospital has been forced to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a legal battle with a suspended surgeon. Talib Al-Mishlab was suspended almost four years ago after complaints from his patients (Milton Keynes Citizen)
  2. Payout for Wirral worker left in coma after accident at Moreton cake factory – An engineer who was left with life-changing in-juries after a devastating accident at work has won compensation. Tom Williams, 65, was removing a pillar at Moreton cake factory, Manor Bakeries Ltd, when part of the ceiling fell on him (The Liverpool Echo)
  3. Nurse wins disability discrimination case – A nurse who suffers from mental health problems has won his case for disability discrimination against Scotland’s national hospital. Andrew Macintosh was discriminated against by bosses at the Golden Jubilee Hospital in Clydebank because he suffers from Schizoaffective Disorder – a combination of schizophrenia and a mood disorder (Herald Scotland)
  4. Brent Council lose bid to overturn racial discrimination ruling – The town hall paid £400 to lodge the right to appeal the decision made by Watford Employment Tribunal that Rosemary Clarke had been treated unfairly by her line manager Cara Davani, the director of human resources. Ms Clarke, who was the council’s head of learning and development, was forced to resign from her post because of the ordeal she suffered at Ms Davani’s hands (The Kilburn Times)
  5. Families of dead firefighters win payout eight years later – The families of two firefighters killed in an explosion at a fireworks factory eight years ago have finally won their battle for compensation. Geoff Wicker, 49, a retained firefighter, and Brian Wembridge, 63, a support officer, died in the blast at the Festival Fireworks factory near Lewes, East Sussex, in December 2006 (The Sunday Times)